Happy Day

Happy Day

Friday, March 19, 2010

Shy Guy

My shy guy is my 5 year old little boy, Drew. From the moment he was born he has been the sweetest little boy. He gave us quite a scare when he was born and he didn't breathe for over 3 minutes. It was the scariest time of my life. He ended up begin a healthy baby at 9lb 2oz. His chest was off to one side from getting smashed but on all accounts he was perfect. The nurses called him "Baby Bubba" because they thought he was so cubby and they loved taking turns in the middle of the night holding him. Yes, by the time it is your second baby you use the nurses and nursery as much a possible, especially when you already have one baby at home. When he was a few days old I got an infection and had to be put on antibiotics. I had to stop nursing him while I was on the medicine. I pumped and dumped for 10 days in hopes of being able to get him to nurse again. All the books said that it wouldn't work, that he would be confused. Well, after the 10 days of washing that liquid gold down the sink (heartbreaking). I tried to nurse that not so little guy and he began nursing immediately. This is a good example of his laid back personality.

He has been his sister’s best friend since the day he was born. Only 19 months apart neither one of them knows life without each other. They are truly each other’s best friend and even at ages 5 and 6 they still are. I hope they will always be. Grace has always been his "big" sister taking care of him every second and this has been just fine with Drew. I still remember dropping them off at Preschool and Grace stood there hugging him while I went out the door. Talk about heartbreaking for a mommy to watch! The teacher told me that they played together at playtime and sat together during snacks and lunch. It warmed my heart to know that she was always there to take care of him and even when there are 30 other kids to choose from they still preferred each other.

Drew, is so agreeable until he gets really upset. He can at times turn into a little hot head. He reminds me of me in this way....all the patience in the world until the patience is gone and he erupts. He is quick to make-up with and will literally cuddle on my lap for hours. I love this about him. He tells me that he loves me bigger than the moon and the whole earth. Talk about melting a mommy's heart. You can often find him sleeping on our floor in the mornings on mommy's side of the bed. DH jokes that it will be embarrassing when Drew goes to college and takes his mommy with him. I heart mamma’s boys!!!!

Drew is a Lego crazy 5 year old and I mean Lego crazy. He loves to get Legos and will sit and build for hours. For his 5th birthday he wanted a Lego party and we had a fun family birthday (despite him running a 102 temp) we sat and built Legos for hours. When I was on bed rest with the twins he would bring his Legos to my bed and we would talk and build things together. I cherished those moments. At times he suggested that I may not know how to build a bull dozer and perhaps we should wait for the expert builder....daddy. But we always managed.

Now that Drew has been wrestling I have seen him grow in ways I didn't know was possible. He takes his wrestling so serious and shows such displace. It amazes DH and I. He has a new confidence about him. He is now doing things on his own without his side kick there to hold his hand. He listens and is respectful this makes me very proud.
Maybe the last 5 years he has been actually listening to my manners lessons. He is always the first to say "thanks mommy for this wonderful meal" or "thank-you for helping me with my project."

I remember once Grace was talking to him about how he needs to love God and Jesus. She must have been going on and on about it because all of the sudden he said "Grace, God and Jesus both live in my heart I let them in....okay!!!!" Last Sunday, we saw a car flipped over, during the snowstorm we drove through and quietly in the back seat Drew said "Mommy, I think I want to pray that those people in that car are okay." So he prayed out loud while a tear ran down my cheek.

Drew, you are my first son and my sweet little “Drewbie” (a nickname G gave him when she was 2yr and it has stuck). I love being your mommy and watching you grow and change everyday. You are becoming such a big boy and have the biggest heart. I hope you never change even your hot headedness. I can't wait to watch you to grow into the man I pray you become, a man just like your daddy. I love you so much and you make me so proud to be your mommy.

L, Mommy

2 comments:

  1. Just found your blog through Hormonal Imbalance. I have just started blogging too - but with 5 kids less. We are going to start TTC for our first in a few months - very exciting to see how you are handling your crew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited for you!!! Starting a family is best. Best of luck!!! Thanks so much for visting:-)

    ReplyDelete